Lindsay Thompson, M.D., M.S.
Dr. Lindsay A. Thompson is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Health Outcomes and BioMedical Informatics at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. She trained at Columbia University and Dartmouth Medical School, and currently directs the General Pediatrics’ Continuity Clinic at the Children’s Medical Services location, delivers patient care, both directly and through resident mentoring, to children with a variety of medical and social challenges in outpatient pediatric clinic; and builds research skills and infrastructure of the Division of General Pediatrics through didactic teaching and mentored research.
- Social Media and Health
- Assessments of Children with Special Health Care Needs
- Neonatal Outcomes
- Palliative Care Services
- Thompson, LA, Martinko, T, Budd, P, Mercado R and Schentrup AM. Meaningful Use of a Confidential Adolescent Patient Portal. J Adol Health,(accepted Oct 2015).
- Fernandez, H., Ferdig, R., Thompson, L.A., Schottke, K., Black, E.W. Students with special healthcare needs. Journal of Educational Technology and Society. (Accepted).
- Bright MA, Thompson LA, Esernio-Jenssen D, Alford S, Shenkman E. “Primary care pediatricians’ screening and management practices for adverse childhood experiences.” Journal of Health Care for Poor and Underserved. (in press).
- Carter CC, Thompson LA, Silverstein J, Tuli SY, Black NMP, and Rivkees SA. “Pediatric After Hours: A Twenty-Year Academic-Community Partnership for Acute Care Delivery.” Journal of Pediatrics. Vol 166, 4, April 2015, p. 788-9.
- Staras SA, Vadaparampil ST, Livingston MD, Thompson LA, Sanders AH, Shenkman EA. Increasing Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Initiation among Publically-Insured Florida Adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health. 56 (2015) s40-s46.
- Ha SU, Thompson LA, Kearney G, Roth J and Xu X. “Population Attributable Risks of Neurobehavioral Disorders Due to Low Birth Weight in US Children,” in Advances in Pediatric Research. 2014: 1:2.
- Thompson LA and Novak MN. “Adolescent Health and the Electronic Health Record: Can it be a social media tool for quality adolescent care?” AMSTAR Review. Adolescent Med 025 (2014) 698-710.
- Knapp C, Madden V, Lane H, Gubernick R, Kairys S, Pelaez-Velez C, Sanders L, and Thompson LA. “Congruence between Staff and Lead Physician’s Ability to Adapt to Change in a Pediatric Medical Home Project.” Primary Health Care, 4(1). doi:10.4172/2167-1079.1000147.
- Knapp C, Chakravorty S, Madden V, Baron-Lee, Gubernick R, Kairys S, Pelaez-Velez C, Sanders L, and Thompson LA. “Assessing Patient Experiences in the Pediatric Patient-Centered Medical Home: A Comparison of Two Instruments.” Maternal and Child Health Journal, PMID: 24585412. 2014 Nov;18(9):2124-33.
- Hinojosa MS, Kadivar H, Fernandez-Baca D, Chisholm T, Thompson LA, Stanford J and EA Shenkman. “Recruiting Low Income and Racially/Ethnically Diverse Adolescents for Focus Groups.” Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2014 Oct;18(8):1912-8.
- Kadivar H, Thompson L, Wegman M, Chisholm T, Khan M, Eddleton K, Muszynski M, Shenkman Adolescent Views on Comprehensive Health Risk Assessment and Counseling: Assessing Gender Differences. Journal of Adolescent Health. July 2014: 55 (2014) 24-32.
- Knapp C, Woodworth L, Fernandez-Baca D, Baron-Lee J, Thompson L, Hinojosa M. Factors associated with a patient-centered medical home among children with behavioral health conditions. Mat Child Health J. 2013 Nov;17(9):1658-64. doi: 10.1007/s10995-012-1179-4.
- Ryan K, Black EW, Saliba H, Osakwe O, McConnell DJ, Pallas P, Carter CG, Tuli S, Nackashi J, and Thompson LA. “Is MRSA Colonization Changing? A Study of Academic Health Center Daycare Facilities.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2013 Oct;34(10):1124-6. doi: 10.1086/673161.
- Black EW, Light J, Paradise Black and Thompson LA. Online social network use by health care providers in a high traffic patient care environment. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2013;15(5):e94.
- Li Z, Huang I, Thompson LA, Tuli SY, Huang S-W, DeWalt D, Revicki D, Shenkman EA. The relationships between asthma control, daytime sleepiness, and quality of life among children with asthma: a path analysis. Sleep Medicine. doi:pii: S1389-9457(13)00133-0. May, 2013; 14(7); 641-647.
- Gandhi PK, Kenzik KM, Thompson LA, DeWalt DA, Revicki DA, Shenkman EA and Huang, IC. Exploring factors influencing asthma control and asthma-specific health-related quality of life among children. Respiratory Research, 2013 Feb 23;14:26.
- Thompson LA, Meinert E, Baker K and Knapp CA. Chronic Pain Management as a Barrier to Pediatric Palliative Care. In Am J Hospice and Palliative Care; January 16, 2013; DOI
- Thompson LA, Zhang S, Das R, Ryngaert M, Sullivan S and Roth J. The Association of Maternal Pre-pregnancy Body Mass Index with Breastfeeding Initiation. In Maternal and Child Health Journal, December 2012, PMID: 23247667.
- Thompson EL, Thompson LA, Black EW, Esernio-Jenssen D, Hardt N, Das R and Roth J. Identifying Indicators During Pregnancy for Child Maltreatment in Maternal and Child Health Journal. December 2012, PMID:
- Knapp CA, Hinojosa M, Baron-Lee J, Fernandez-Baca D, Hinojosa R and Thompson LA. Factors Associated with a Medical Home Among Children with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. In Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2012 Dec;16(9):1771-8.
- Hinojosa MS, Hinojosa R, Fernandez-Baca D, Knapp C, Thompson LA. Parental strain, parental health, and community characteristics among children with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder. Acad Pediatr. 2012 Nov-Dec;12(6):502-8.
- Thompson, LA, Black, EW, Saliba, H and Schentrup AM. Parents’ Knowledge of and Opinions about Healthcare Laws and Technology in Primary Care. In Informatics in Primary Care, 2012;20(1):69-74.
- Thompson, LA, Ferdig, R and Black, E. Online Schools and Children with Special Health and Educational Needs: Comparison with Performance in Traditional Schools. In JMIR 2012 14(3):e62.
- Sberna Hinojosa M, Hinojosa R, Fernandez-Baca D, Knapp, C, Thompson LA, and Christou A. “Racial and Ethnic Variation in ADHD, Comorbid Illnesses and Parental Strain. In Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. Feb 2012.
- Knapp CA, Hinojosa M, Baron-Lee J, Fernandez-Baca D, Hinojosa R and Thompson LA. “Factors Associated with a Medical Home Among Children with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.” In Maternal and Child Health J. 2012 Dec;16(9):1771-8. doi: 10.1007/s10995-011-0922-6.
- Thompson, LA and Black EW. “Non-clinical Use of Online Social Networking Sites: New and Old Challenges to Medical Professionalism.” In The Journal of Clinical Ethics, Summer 2011, 2: 197-82.
- Sberna Hinojosa M, Hinojosa R, Fernandez-Baca D, Knapp, C, Thompson LA, and Christou A. “Racial and Ethnic Variation in ADHD, Comorbid Illnesses and Parental Strain. In Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2012;23(1):273-89.
- Tuli, SY, Thompson LA, Black, EW, Saliba, H, Kelly MN, Ryan, KA, Novak, MA, Mellot JK and Tuli SS. “Pediatric Resident Learning Styles and Temperament and their Relationship to Standardized Testing Scores.” Journal of Graduate Medical Education. Dec 2011, Vol. 3, No. 4 (December 2011) pp. 566-570
- Knapp C and LA Thompson. “Factors Associated with Perceived Barriers to Pediatric Palliative Care: a survey of pediatricians in Florida and California.” In Palliative Medicine. 2012 Apr;26(3):268-74. doi: 10.1177/0269216311409085.
- Ryan, KA, Ifantides C, Bucciarelli C, Saliba H, Black EW, Thompson LA, “Are Gymnasium Equipment Surfaces a Source of Staphylococcal Infections in the Community?” American Journal of Infection Control. 2011 Mar;39(2):148-50.
- Thompson, LA; Black EW, Duff, WP; Black, NP; Saliba H and Dawson K. Protected Health Information on Social Networking Sites: Ethical and Legal Considerations. J Med Internet Res 2011;13(1):e8); doi:10.2196/jmir.1590
- Thompson LA, Tuli SY, Saliba H, DiPietro M, and Nackashi JA. “Improving Developmental Screening in Pediatric Resident Education.” Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010 Aug;49(8):737-42.
- Black EW, Thompson LA, Duff WP, Dawson K., Saliba HS, Paradise Black NM. “Revisiting social network utilization by physicians-in-training.” Journal of Graduate Medical Education; Volume 2, Issue 2 (June 2010) pp. 289-293
- Tuli SY, Thompson LA, Ryan KA, Srinivas GL, Fillipps DJ, Young CM, Tuli S. “Improving Quality and Patient Satisfaction in a Pediatric Resident Continuity Clinic Through Advanced Access Scheduling.” Journal of Graduate Medical Education; Volume 2, Issue 2 (June 2010) pp. 215-221.
- Black EW, Thompson LA, Saliba, H, Dawson KD, Paradise Black NM. “An analysis of healthcare providers’ online ratings.” Inform Prim Care. 2009; 17(4):249-53.
- Thompson LA, Knapp CA, Feeg, V, Madden, V and Shenkman EA. “Pediatricians’ Pain Management Practices.” Journal of Palliative Medicine 2010 Feb; 13(2):171-8.
- Thompson LA, Knapp CA, Saliba H, Giunta N, Shenkman EA, and Nachashi JA. “The Impact of Insurance on Satisfaction and Family-Centered Care for Children with Special Health Care Needs.” Pediatrics; 2009 Dec; 124: Suppl 4:S420-7.
- Knapp CA, Thompson LA, Madden V, and Shenkman EA. Physician Perceptions of Referral to Pediatric Palliative Care. Palliative Medicine 2009; 23(5):418-24.
- Thompson LA, Knapp CA, Madden V, and Shenkman EA. “Pediatricians’ Perceptions of and Preferred Timing for Pediatric Palliative Care.” Pediatrics (May 2009; 123: e777 – e782).
- Huang IC, Thompson LA, Chi YY, Knapp CA, Revicki DA, Seid M, and Shenkman EA. “The Linkage between pediatric quality of life and health conditions: Establishing Clinically Meaningful Cutoff Scores for the PedsQL.” Value in Health, 2009 Jan (12)5:773-781.
- Knapp CA, Madden VL, Curtis CM, Sloyer PJ, Huang IC, Thompson LA, Shenkman EA. “Partners in care: together for kids: Florida’s model of pediatric palliative care.” J Palliat Med. 2008 Nov;11(9):1212-20.
- Knapp CA, Thompson LA, Vogel B, Madden V, and Shenkman EA. “Developing a Pediatric Palliative Care Program: Addressing the Lack of Baseline Expenditure Information.” Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2009 Feb-Mar; 26(1):40-6.
- Huang IC, Shenkman EA, Leite W, Knapp CA, Thompson LA, and DA Revicki. “Agreement was not found in adolescents’ health-related quality of life rated by parents and adolescents.” J Clin Epidemiol. 2009 Mar;62(3):337-46.
- Ferdig RE, Dawson KD, Black, EW, Paradise Black NM, Thompson LA. “Medical Students’ and residents’ use of online social networking tools: Implications for teaching professionalism in medical education.” First Monday [Online serial], 13(9). (2008). Available from http://www.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/viewArticle/2161/2026
- Thompson LA, Dawson KD, Ferdig R, Black EW, Boyer J, Coutts, J and Paradise Black NM. The Intersection of Online Social Networking with Medical Professionalism. JGIM, 2008; July; 23(7):1118-9.
- Thompson LA, Irigoyen M, Matiz LA, Larussa PS, Chimkin F, and Chen S. The Impact of the Pentavalent Vaccine on Young Infants’ Use of Health Services. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 2006 Sep;25(9):826-831.
- Thompson LA, Goodman DC, Stukel T and Chang, CH. Regional Variation in Rates of Low Birth Weight. Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 1114-1121.
- Jennings R, Thompson LA, Townsend CL, Stashwick CA, Goodman DC. The Relation Between Pediatric Residency Program Size and Inpatient Severity and Diversity. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. 2003; 157: 676-680.
- Thompson LA, Goodman DC, and Little GA. Is more neonatal intensive care always better? Insights from a cross-national comparison of reproductive care. Pediatrics. 2002; 109:1036-1043.