Janet Silverstein, M.D.
Dr. Silverstein focuses on type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, obesity, psychosocial issues in pediatric chronic disease, general endocrinology (including disorders of growth, puberty, thyroid, bone metabolism, and water metabolism), lipid disorders, and patient advocacy. She attends 34 clinics: 26 diabetes clinics, 6 endocrine clinics, and 2 obesity/lipid clinics. Her participation in clinical research involves mentoring fellows and junior faculty in studies on cardiovascular risk in diabetes and pre-diabetes as well as adherence in type 1 diabetes and obesity. She also serves as an endocrine in-patient attending physician 3-4 months per year and general ward attending 1 month per year; she teaches medical students, residents, and fellows in the clinic, ward settings, and in diabetes camps.
- Driscoll KA, Killian M, Johnson SB, Silverstein JH, Deeb LC. (2009). Predictors of Study Completion and Withdrawal in a Randomized Clinical Trial of a Pediatric Diabetes Adherence Intervention. Contemporary clinical trials.
- Haller MJ, Stein JM, Shuster JJ, Theriaque D, Samyn MM, Pepine C, Silverstein JH. (2009). Pediatric Atorvastatin in Diabetes Trial (PADIT): a pilot study to determine the effect of atorvastatin on arterial stiffness and endothelial function in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Journal of pediatric endocrinology & metabolism: JPEM, 22(1):65-8.
- Janicke DM, Sallinen BJ, Perri MG, Lutes LD, Silverstein JH, Brumback B. (2009). Comparison of program costs for parent-only and family-based interventions for pediatric obesity in medically underserved rural settings. The journal of rural health, 25(3):326-30.
- Lehmkuhl HD, Merlo LJ, Devine K, Gaines J, Storch EA, Silverstein JH, Geffken GR. (2009). Perceptions of Type 1 Diabetes among Affected Youth and their Peers. Journal of clinical psychology in medical settings, 16(3):209-15.
- Lewin AB, Lagreca AM, Geffken GR, Williams LB, Duke DC, Storch EA, Silverstein JH. (2009). Validity and Reliability of an Adolescent and Parent Rating Scale of Type 1 Diabetes Adherence Behaviors: The Self-Care Inventory (SCI). Journal of pediatric pyschology.
- Lewin AB, Storch EA, Williams LB, Duke DC, Silverstein JH, Geffken GR. (2009). Brief Report: Normative Data on a Structured Interview for Diabetes Adherence in Childhood. Journal of pediatric pyschology.
- Zineh I, Beitelshees AL, Silverstein JH, Haller MJ. (2009). Serum monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 concentrations associate with diabetes status but not arterial stiffness in children with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 32(3):465-7.