David Markusic, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor
Cancer and Genetics Research Complex, Room 230G
University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands 2000-2007
- PhD – Lentiviral vectors for regulated and liver directed gene therapy 2007
- MSc – Molecular Biology 2002
Using novel adeno-associate virus (AAV) vectors for gene therapy to treat hemophilia. To model and identify strategies to minimize immune responses against human factor IX protein and AAV following gene transfer. To translate effective strategies in hemophilia models that induce tolerance and reverse pre-existing immunity to coagulator factor to treat autoimmune disease.
- Moghimi, B, Sack, BK, Nayak, S, Markusic, DM, Mah, CS, and Herzog, RW (2011). Tolerance Induction to Factor VIII by Transient Co-administration with Rapamycin. J Thromb Haemost. 9: 1524-1533.
- Martino AT, Suzuki M, Markusic DM, Zolotukhin I, Ryals RC, Moghimi B, Ertl HC, Muruve DA, Lee B, Herzog RW. (2011). The genome of self-complementary adeno-associated viral vectors increases Toll-like receptor 9-dependent innate immune responses in the liver. Blood 117: 6459-6468.
- May T, Butueva M, Bantner S, Markusic D, Seppen J, MacLeod RA, Weich H, Hauser H, Wirth D. (2010). Synthetic gene regulation circuits for control of cell expansion. Tissue Eng Part A 16: 441-452.
- Markusic DM, Herzog RW, Aslanidi GV, Hoffman BE, Li B, Li M, Jayandharan GR, Ling C, Zolotukhin I, Ma W, Zolotukhin S, Srivastava A, Zhong L. (2010). High-efficiency Transduction and Correction of Murine Hemophilia B Using AAV2 Vectors Devoid of Multiple Surface-exposed Tyrosines. Mol Ther. 12: 2048-56
- Markusic, DM, de Waart, DR, and Seppen, J (2010). Separating lentiviral vector injection and induction of gene expression in time, does not prevent an immune response to rtTA in rats. PLoS One 5: e9974.
- Markusic, D, and Seppen, J (2010). Doxycycline regulated lentiviral vectors. Methods Mol Biol 614: 69-76.
- Martino AT, Nayak S, Hoffman BE, Cooper M, Liao G, Markusic DM, Byrne BJ, Terhorst C, Herzog RW. (2009). Tolerance induction to cytoplasmic beta-galactosidase by hepatic AAV gene transfer: implications for antigen presentation and immunotoxicity. PLoS One 4: e6376.
- Markusic, DM, van Til, NP, Hiralall, JK, Elferink, RP, and Seppen, J (2009). Reduction of liver macrophage transduction by pseudotyping lentiviral vectors with a fusion envelope from Autographa californica GP64 and Sendai virus F2 domain. BMC Biotechnol 9: 85.